In January 1914, the East End branches of the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU) broke away. They formed an independent, democratic organisation called the East London Federation of the Suffragettes (ELFS), which focused on the rights of working women in East London. It was led by Sylvia Pankhurst, the daughter of Emmeline Pankhurst and sister of Christabel Pankhurst, leaders of the WSPU (Women’s Social and Political Union).
The ELFS marched through East London, held huge public meetings, opened women’s social centres, organised benefit concerts and parties, and produced a weekly newspaper called The Woman’s Dreadnought. They even recruited a small ‘People’s Army’ of supporters to defend them from police brutality.
When the First World War broke out in August 1914, factories across East London closed, and food prices spiralled. The suffragettes led community action to support those most affected by the sudden wave of unemployment, organising milk distribution for starving infants and opening a volunteer-run children’s health clinic, a nursery school and a series of canteens serving nutritious food at “cost price”. They even opened their own cooperative toy factory, which paid a living wage and included a crèche.
The organisation changed its name and focus over the years but didn’t close down until 1924.