The Whitechapel Gallery is committed to making all of our events as accessible as possible for every audience member. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to discuss a particular request and we will gladly discuss with you the best way to accommodate it.
About This Event
– This event takes place online only.
– You can access this event for free through this web page and also on the Whitechapel Gallery’s YouTube Channel, here: https://www.youtube.com/user/whitechapelgallery
– An Easy Read Guide is available – please click here.
– This event is suitable for those over the age of 16
– We are unable to provide British Sign Language interpretation for this event
– We are unable to provide live closed captioning or CART for this event. An automated captioned verson of the event will be available on YouTube following the event.
– As the event is more than one hour, we will take regular rest breaks throughout.
– As the event is being live streamed, you can access it from your home if you have access to an internet connection
– The event will be available for replay on this page afterwards, pending speaker consent.
The latest anthology in the Documents of Contemporary Art series, Magic deciphers the evolution of a ‘magical-critical’ thinking that productively complicates, contradicts and expands the boundaries of our increasingly weird present. This afternoon of conversations features guest editor Jamie Sutcliffe alongside chaos magician Phil Hine, post-human philosopher Patricia MacCormack, games designer and writer Porpentine Charity Heartscape and artists David Steans and Gary Zhexi Zhang.
2.05pm Jamie Sutcliffe introduces Magic
2.30pm David Steans – film presentation
2.45pm Phil Hine & Patricia MacCormack in conversation
3.45pm Break (15 min)
4.00pm Porpentine Charity Heartscape – film presentation
4.20pm Gary Zhexi Zhang – talk
Pick up your copy at the Whitechapel Gallery Koenig Bookshop from 6pm on Thursday 16 September, where you can also see a new window display created by David Steans.
Find out more about Magic and the Documents of Contemporary Art series here.
Jamie Sutcliffe is a writer, curator and co-director of Strange Attractor Press. His essays, reviews, and interviews have been published in Art Monthly, frieze, Rhizome, The White Review and others
Phil Hine is a writer and occultist based in London.
Patricia MacCormack is Professor of Continental Philosophy at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, UK.
Porpentine Charity Heartscape is a game designer and artist based in California.
David Steans is an artist and teacher in Fine Art at Leeds Arts University.
Gary Zhexi Zhang is an artist and writer based in New York.