Thu 17 June, 7pm
Whitechapel Gallery Online
The Whitechapel Gallery is committed to making all of our events as accessible as possible for every audience member. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss a particular request and we will gladly discuss with you the best way to accommodate it. Further information about access at the Gallery is available here.
About This Event
– This event takes place online only.
– You can access this event for free through this web page and also on the Whitechapel Gallery’s YouTube Channel, here.
– This event is suitable for those over the age of 16.
– We are unable to provide British Sign Language interpretation for this event.
– We are unable to provide live closed captioning or CART for this event.
– As the event is scheduled for a total of one hour, we will not take a rest break.
– As the event is being live streamed, you can access it from your home if you have access to an internet connection.
– We do not yet know if we will be able to make the recording available afterwards.
This information will be updated where required.
Cristina Iglesias’ horizontal fountains, submerged rooms and tropical mazes bring together language, architecture and botany to create immersive spaces of contemplation. Whether building undersea architectures for marine life or revealing underground rivers in busy urban centres, the power and presence of water is central to her practice. Here she is joined in conversation with Whitechapel Gallery Director Iwona Blazwick and Richard Noble to discuss her new monograph, Liquid Sculpture, and her latest commissions.
This event is part of our season Ways of Knowing: Water / Fluidity.
Spanish artist Cristina Iglesias (b. 1956) creates profound spaces of the imagination. Renowned for her sculptures woven, cast or constructed from metal, wood and alabaster, Iglesias also creates outdoor structures and installations using water. Her work can be found in inner cities or remote islands, as a site of pilgrimage for humans or as a habitat for animals.