The Whitechapel Gallery is committed to making all of our events as accessible as possible for every audience member. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss a particular request and we will gladly discuss with you the best way to accommodate it.
Information about access on site at the gallery is available here https://www.whitechapelgallery.org/visit/access/
About This Event
– This event takes place in the Creative Studio at Whitechapel Gallery. This space is located on Level 3 and can be accessed via our passenger lift or stairs.
– Each workshop will last 2.5 hours. Participants are welcome to take rest breaks whenever they require throughout.
– We are unable to provide British Sign Language interpretation for this event
– We are unable to provide live closed captioning or CART for this event.
– To the best of our knowledge, there are no planned disruptions to local transport on the date of the event.
– Our nearest train station – Aldgate East Underground (1 min) is not wheelchair accessible. The closest wheelchair accessible stations are Whitechapel (15 min), Shoreditch High Street (15 min) or Liverpool Street (15 min).
– Free parking for Blue Badge holders is available at the top of Osborn Street in the pay and display booths for an unlimited period. Spaces are available on a first come, first served basis.
Photography & Video
Please note: photographs and video may be taken during this event to be used on our social media channels and for archival purposes.
Join artist Alice Thompson in the Creative Studio for a series of hand knit workshops. In this relaxed and playful workshop, Alice will be showing the basics of hand knitting, from casting on and creating your own beautiful sample to take home with you.
All abilities welcome and all materials provided.
We will be hosting two workshops throughout the day for two age groups.
Limited spaces are available so we encourage you to sign up for these workshops in advance to secure your spot.
Families Session, 11am – 1.30pm: Ages 7-14
A collaborative session targeted at families. Children must be accompanied by an adult for this session.
Youth Session, 2.30pm – 5pm: Ages 15-24
In this session Alice will also spend time talking through her artistic practice, and experience building a career in textile based artmaking.
Alice Thompson works primarily with knitting, making reference to the transitional stages in our lifetime and the cast aside nature of clothing. Alice is a Fashion Technician and Machine Knitting Tutor at Working Men’s College and Facilitator with Colèchi YKWU.